- Software bookings of $18.1 million, compared to $19.8 million in the prior year quarter. First quarter 2018 bookings included $7.1 million of operations bookings and $11.0 million of maintenance renewals, compared to $9.5 million of operations bookings and $10.3 million of maintenance renewals in the first quarter of 2017.
- Software backlog totaled $35.9 million at March 31, 2018, or $42.7 million adjusted to exclude the adoption of ASC 606, compared to $40.6 million in the year earlier period. As a result of the adoption of ASC 606 approximately $5.3 million of backlog, that could have been recognized in 2018 under prior accounting rules, was re-cast to retained earnings as part of the beginning balance as of January 1, 2018.
- The revenue renewal rate for software maintenance in the first quarter of 2018 was greater than 99 percent.
- Paging units in service at March 31, 2018 totaled 1,030,000, compared to 1,091,000 at the end of the prior year period.
- The quarterly rate of wireless revenue erosion was 1.3 percent in the first quarter of 2018 versus 2.5 percent in the year-earlier quarter.
- Consolidated operating expenses (excluding depreciation, amortization and accretion) totaled $39.7 million in the first quarter of 2018, compared to $36.8 million in the year-earlier quarter.
- Capital returned to stockholders in the first quarter of 2018 totaled $4.7 million, in the form of $2.8 million from the regular quarterly dividend and $1.9 million of share repurchases.
- The Company’s cash balance at March 31, 2018 was $101.3 million, compared to $118.9 million at March 31, 2017, and $107.2 million at December 31, 2017.
Spok, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Spok Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: SPOK), headquartered in Springfield, Virginia, is proud to be a global leader in healthcare communications. We deliver clinical information to care teams when and where it matters most to improve patient outcomes. Top hospitals rely on the Spok Care Connect® and Spok Go® platforms to enhance workflows for clinicians, support administrative compliance, and provide a better experience for patients. Our customers send over 100 million messages each month through their Spok® solutions. Spok is making care collaboration easier. For more information, visit spok.com or follow @spoktweets on Twitter.
Spok is a trademark of Spok Holdings, Inc. Spok Care Connect and Spok Go are trademarks of Spok, Inc.
Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act: Statements contained herein or in prior press releases which are not historical fact, such as statements regarding Spok’s future operating and financial performance, are forward-looking statements for purposes of the safe harbor provisions under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that may cause Spok’s actual results to be materially different from the future results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expectations include, but are not limited to, declining demand for paging products and services, continued demand for our software products and services, our ability to develop additional software solutions for our customers and manage our development as a global organization, the ability to manage operating expenses, particularly third party consulting services and research and development costs, future capital needs, competitive pricing pressures, competition from traditional paging services, other wireless communications services and other software providers, many of which are substantially larger and have much greater financial and human capital resources, changes in customer purchasing priorities or capital expenditures, government regulation of our products and services and the healthcare and health insurance industries, reliance upon third-party providers for certain equipment and services, unauthorized breaches or failures in cybersecurity measures adopted by us and/or included in our products and services, the effects of changes in accounting policies or practices, as well as other risks described from time to time in our periodic reports and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Although Spok believes the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, it can give no assurance that its expectations will be attained. Spok disclaims any intent or obligation to update any forward-looking statements.
+1 (952) 567-0295