Improving Care Coordination by Sharing Critical Information Quickly Across the Enterprise
Spok continually evaluates new ways to expand the value of Spok Care Connect® across the healthcare IT ecosystem to help your organization meet your goals in light of investments made in electronic health record (EHR) systems. Spok offers a variety of integration and interoperability options to share data and functionality with hospital systems key to patient care. We also leverage industry standards such as HL7 and participate in industry initiatives such as Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE).
With the wealth of information EHRs provide, it becomes more important to ensure that the critical alerts and messages staff need to execute on quickly are delivered and followed up on while filtering out or prioritizing less important information. Adding detailed clinical information to an event with data from the EHR will drive faster, more efficient decision-making for providers.
The key is enabling staff with better mobile alerting and communication technology that integrates with the EHR system and helps staff address time-sensitive patient needs as soon as possible.
Directory Integration is Key
By bringing your organization’s contact information and on-call schedules into a centralized system, staff across the organization can find the person they need faster, particularly when a secure text messaging app is layered into the mix. Whether it’s a physician needing a consult or a member of the care team letting a physician know their patient is prepped for surgery, this integration saves time and can improve patient care in emergencies.
- One Spok customer in Indiana has cut code initiation time in half and trimmed the response time. The smoother process has shaved minutes off response time during life-threatening situations when every second counts.
- A Spok customer in Georgia has trimmed their door-to-balloon time for code STEMIs down to under 62 minutes at two different facilities, nearly 30 minutes faster than the national guideline of 90 minutes.
- A hospital in Minnesota is using automated messaging and pages sent directly to care provider devices, significantly reducing overhead pages and cutting down on the noise level. The organization frequently gets comments from happy patients about how restful the space is.
Benefits of EHR + Clinical Communication Technology:
- Enhance physician-nurse communication and care coordination
- Track critical changes in vitals and who was contacted to respond to the situation
- Share test results from the lab and radiology
- Close the loop for critical test results by writing back to the EHR the exact date and time that the ordering physician viewed a critical result for their patient
- Add clinical context to notifications to drive informed clinical decision-making about patient care events
- Reduce readmissions and protect reimbursements by sending patients their doctor’s orders from the EHR via text message
- Improve and speed the discharge process by sending physician orders from the EHR to a patient’s nurse
Spok and IHE
Spok has been a member of Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) since 2009 and holds a seat on the IHE Committee. This well-respected healthcare consortium promotes interoperability in the industry. Spok participates in IHE Connectathon testing events with a focus on device system integrations, and our solutions are tested against a wide variety of enterprise healthcare companies supporting EHR, patient monitoring, infusion, and OR workflow. We also participate in technical and planning committees, shaping the future of hospital system integration.